Thursday, January 21, 2010

Story of Sunrise Park

Before marriage, I was a tigress. After marriage, I became a rat. Then I had father-in-law and mother-in-law in upper echelon, sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law at lower end. When I got married, my father instructed me to learn to behave as a daughter-in-law. He said doing more work and working harder would render me advantages. That was why whenever I returned to Sunrise Park in Kluang, either coincidentally or otherwise, I found Ah Gong mowing in the garden in the evening. As he was busy mowing, I was sweeping the cut grass by his side. While I was sweeping, I had to chase away swarms of mosquitoes surrounding me. After the work was completed, not only my legs were bitten by mosquitoes, my eyelids were also swollen.

I had never cooked for outsiders before marriage. After getting married, I was a bit worried. Luckily, my father-in-law and mother-in-law were very considerate. I used to act as kitchen-hand for mother-in-law. However, I realized I couldn’t be kitchen-hand all the time. I would have to cook on my own one day. I remember one afternoon when we stayed in SS12, I was frying “rat noodles” (low shi fan) for the in-laws. As I was not confident of my cooking skills, I poured in a lot of ingredients. To my great relief, the in-laws seemed to enjoy the meal. They asked me if the rat noodles were
“ta pao” (takeaway). Haha!

I was told that Ah Gong was rather critical to the new license holders driving the cars. When I drove him for the first time from Damansara Utama to Subang Jaya, We passed several round-abouts on the way. As we approached the first round-about, I looked around and hesitated for a while before I sped off. The reaction from Ah Gong was: “you are too slow. The car from the back may knock on you”. After this, I was driving faster. On approaching the destination, Ah Gong commented that my driving skill was not bad! Haha!

by KC Lian

No comments:

Post a Comment