Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thank You, Dad!

Although Dad looked serious and didn’t talk much, he was supportive of his children’s education, up to tertiary level. In my case, when I sat twice the Entrance Exam of Nanyang University in Singapore, and entered twice into that University, and later transferred to Victoria University in New Zealand, he just supported me without saying a word. When some relatives were lamenting on my choice of doing Art and English Language course in the university, saying that studying engineering or science would have better prospect, Dad didn’t say anything either. He just respected my choice and decision. On this, I am really very grateful to him. And because of this, I had peace in mind in university days. To pay for tertiary education for six children was certainly a financial burden to him, but he bore the responsibility until the end. He is great!

After coming back from overseas, Dad and I had more conversation. After all, I was an adult then. We discussed mainly politics and some social events. When I started working in KL, and later brothers and sisters were all coming to KL, I persuaded him and Mum to move to KL. After long persuasion, he and Mum decided to come and settle in KL. Unfortunately, not long after they came to KL, I went to Sitiawan to take up my new post, and my family also shifted to Sitiawan later. After staying for 13 years in Sitiawan, we were back to KL again. Luckily we bought a house so close to my parents, so we are able to take care of each other.

Dad was a supporter and ardent reader of my writings. I used to write articles in my university days, mainly political reports, and sent them to Singapore and Hong Kong’s newspapers and magazines. Those articles published in Singapore were also circulated in Malaysia. Dad almost cut all my articles he read and pasted them on 4A size note-books (like the Majong record books). He did it for many years. I didn’t realize until few years ago when Mum presented the two note-books to me during a clean-up exercise. All my articles were so complete and neatly pasted. I was very moved by his long time pains-taking hard work and patience.

Months before he passed away, I had few times very annoyed with him when I saw he didn’t take medicine as instructed by doctors. I even once talked to him in very loud voice and questioned him why he was afraid to see doctor and refused to take medicine on time. He looked at me and showed his rebellious stubbornness in the eyes without answering. I strongly believed that if he could follow the advice of the doctor, he should live much longer. But, alas! How can I be so certain? A man’s fate is in the hands of God. Only God can determine that. I was wondering why Dad was so stubborn at the twilight age. Probably what Shakespeare said was true. According to Shakespeare’s classification of stages of a man, old age is termed “the second childhood”. He becomes innocent and rebellious like a naughty boy. He won’t listen to what you say. If that is the case, that is dad’s fate. After all, he has lived longer than the average men of Malaysia, of which the life span is 72. And he died peacefully, without suffering from any painful illness.

When I looked at him lying peacefully and solemnly in the casket, with the make-up and in full suit, I felt he was in his best and very good looking. At this juncture, I couldn’t hold back my tears, as I knew he would leave us forever. Let me wish you happy forever in the Western Merry Land, Dad!

By Unintelligent Lion 31/12/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment